Out in Tech
Last Updated: September 11, 2019
- What information do we collect?
Registering for Events Through Third Party Platforms
If you register for an event through a third-party platform, such as Eventbrite or Splash, we may have access to some of your third-party account information from that service, as well as information you put in the registration form, such as your name, email address, job title, company, how you identify and other information as requested on that form, as authorized by that service. You should review such third party platform’s data policy for more information about its data privacy collection practices.
Registering for Events Through Survey Administration App
Applying for Volunteer Opportunity Through A Survey Administration App
Program & Activity Updates. We may collect your name, email address and city if you sign up to receive emails, invites and newsletters from us regarding our programs and activities relevant to your city.
Products, Services and Customer Support. We may collect your name, email address and telephone number to the extent necessary for us to provide the products and services that you have ordered, requested or are offered and order confirmations (or other transactional information) and/or to provide customer support.
Online Surveys. We may collect your name, email address and city if you choose to participate in one of our on-line surveys. This information will be used to help provide us with relevant information about our users.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. When you use our Services, we may collect certain information automatically from you, which may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, clickstream data, landing page, and referring URL. To collect this information, a cookie may be set on your computer or device when you visit our Services. Cookies contain a small amount of information that allows our web servers to recognize you. We store information that we collect through cookies, log files, and/or clear gifs to record your preferences. We may also automatically collect information about your use of features of our Services, about the functionality of our Services, frequency of visits, and other information related to your interactions with the Services. We may track your use across different websites and services. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), some of the information referenced above in this paragraph may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. You can set your browser to remove or reject cookies; however some Site features or Services may not work properly without cookies.
- How is collected information used and stored?
Legal Basis For Processing. When we process your information we will only do so where at least one of the following applies:
- Provide our service to you: Most of the time, the reason we process your information is to perform the contract that you have with us. For example, if you subscribe to our listserv by providing us with your name, email address and city, we use this information to send you emails, invites and newsletters regarding our programs and activities relevant to your city. If you register for an event by proving us with information such as your name and email address, we use this information to check you in when you arrive at the event and notify you of any event updates. If you apply for a volunteer opportunity and provide us with information such as your name, email address, your phone number, how you identify, your reason for volunteering and other information relevant to the volunteering opportunity, we use such information to evaluate your qualification for the opportunity and appropriately match you with an opportunity.
- Legitimate interests: We may use your information where we have legitimate interests to do so. For instance, for users who apply for a volunteer opportunity and go through a background check conducted by our background check service provider, we use the results provided to us by our background check service provider to ascertain the eligibility of such applicant for the opportunity applied for (e.g. a mentorship opportunity). Also, we analyze users’ behavior on our Services to continuously improve our Services and for market research purpose. We track aggregate data to gauge our progress with diversity, inclusion and belonging (to ensure we are serving all members in our community), as well as our progress in terms of achieving our overall nonprofit mission. For example, by compiling information such as job title, company and how you identify on an aggregate basis (Personal Data excluded), we track our progress in terms of attracting users from various employment levels, companies and identification to our programs and events. We process information for administrative, fraud detection and other legal purposes.
- Consent: From time to time, we may ask for your consent to use your information for certain specific reasons. You may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at the address provided at email@example.com
- Legal Compliance: When it is necessary for us to use your information to comply with a legal obligations.
- Is Information Collected by or Disclosed to Third Parties by using the Services?
- Third party service providers. We, like many businesses, sometimes engage other companies to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf so that we can focus on our core business. Examples of these services include, but are not limited to, event management, survey administration, social media management, background check, payment processing and authorization, order fulfillment and shipping, marketing and promotional material distribution, website evaluation, data analysis and, where applicable, data cleansing. We authorize them to use this Personal Data only in connection data security and privacy standards.
- Legal requirements. We may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law (including, without limitation responding to a subpoena or request from law enforcement, court or government agency or other public authorities) or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary (i) to comply with a legal obligation, (ii) to protect or defend our rights, interests or property or that of other customers or users, (iii) to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public, or (iv) to protect against legal liability or potential fraud, as determined in our sole discretion.
- Your consent. If we intend to use any of your Personal Data collected in any manner that is not specified herein, we will inform you of such anticipated use prior to or at the time at which such Personal Data is collected or we will obtain your consent subsequent to such collection but prior to such use. In short, we will honor the choices you make regarding your Personal Data and will inform you about any other intended uses of such information.
- Linking to or from Third Party Platforms.
Users may follow OIT on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Slack. Users should click on the hyperlinks for each site to review the applicable privacy policies for more detail about information collected from these sites.
- How Does OIT Comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act?
Our Services are directed toward a general audience and are not directed at nor intended for use by children. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
- What are my data protection rights under GDPR?
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the GDPR, data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your Personal Data;
- Request correction or deletion of your Personal Data;
- Object to our use and processing of your Personal Data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your Personal Data; and
- Request portability of your Personal Data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data by contacting us at email@example.com . EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
- Data Transfers
OIT’s Services are hosted by WordPress. WordPress delivers an industry-leading network of state-of-the-art data centers located around the world. Like OIT, helping to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of customer data is of the utmost importance to WordPress, as is maintaining customer trust and confidence. WordPress is certified under the US-EU and US-Swiss Privacy Shields and, in compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, act as our agent with regard to data privacy. For more details of WordPress’s privacy and security processes, please visit https://automattic.com/privacy/ . By using the service, you consent to your personal information being transferred to our servers as set out in this policy.
- How long does OIT retain information collected?
We follow generally accepted standards to store and protect the personal data we collect, both during transmission and once received and stored, including utilization of encryption where appropriate. We retain Personal Data only for as long as necessary to provide the Services you have requested and thereafter for a variety of legitimate legal or business purposes. These might include retention periods (i) mandated by law, contract or similar obligations applicable to our business operations; (ii) for preserving, resolving, defending or enforcing our legal/contractual rights; or (iii) needed to maintain adequate and accurate business and financial records. If you have any questions about the security or retention of your Personal Data, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- What is OIT’s Security Policy?
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access, destruction or alteration. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our Services. However, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can ever by 100% secure.
- How Does OIT Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals?
“Do Not Track” is a feature enabled on some browsers that sends a signal to request that a web application disable its tracking or cross-site user tracking. At present, OIT does not respond to or alter its practices when a Do Not Track signal is received.
- Contact Us
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using our Services, or have questions about our practices, please contact us via email at email@example.com .