Are you an organization?
- Come up with a sentence (for example, Come On Vogue Let Your Body Move)
- Take the first letter of each word: COVLYBM
- Add 1 number and 1 symbol: COVLYBMTTM7$
- Add the first letter of the website you are logging into (e.g. Gmail): COVLYBMTTM7$g
If you want to keep track of all of your passwords, get a free password manager! Start here: https://www.lastpass.com
Are you an individual?
- Click the little carrot in the upper right hand corner of your screen, scroll down to “settings”.
- Privacy. Under the “Privacy” tab, you’ll find many of the settings that controll who sees your posts, who can contact you, and who can share what you post. I’d suggest setting everything to “private” or “friends only”. The last one on the list, “Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile?” is important. That setting is what allows your profile, pictures you’re tagged in, etc. to show up if someone types your name into google. Set that to “No”.
- Timeline and tagging is where you can control how other people interact with you through their own profiles. The tagging feature allows you to monitor what pictures you’re tagged in on your friends’ profiles. If you have a friend whose profile isn’t as secure as your own, you can’t stop them from posting pictures of you, but you can stop them from sharing your name or linking back to your profile in the pictures.
- Apps and other data. In light of recent news stories where privata data was shared outside Facebook, I’ll touch on other apps. Under the “Apps” sidebar, you can control what apps have access to your Facebook accoun