Out in Tech is hiring a Communications Manager!
Are you creative? Do you think Out in Tech’s emails are kind of cool, but could be better? Us too! We’re hiring a communications manager to take us from kinda cool to deadass dope. Submit your resume + cover letter below.
Communications Manager, Out in Tech
📍 New York City (or Los Angeles)
💼 Reports to Program Director
📑 PDF version of this JD here
We’re breaking up with our fax machine, CD-ROMs, and dot-matrix printer, and we need your help. As our community of 16,000 continues to grow, we’re looking for a Communications Manager to run email, web, and social to reach even more LGBTQ+ aspiring tech leaders.
At Out in Tech, we unite the LGBTQ+ tech community through regular events and volunteer opportunities. We design our experiences around making tech more inclusive and representative of groups historically barred from the world’s most influential careers — whether they identify as queer, female, trans, black, Latino, or any intersection thereof. We’re building a global community because we believe that people working in (or curious about) tech live everywhere, not just in large cities. Our approach is to build the confidence and credentials of LGBTQ+ folks to unleash a new wave of tech talent. The CEO of the world’s most valuable company is a gay man, after all.
The Communications Manager will run campaigns from start to finish, beginning with event announcements via targeted email and social, moving through the registration process, to the on-site visual branding and beyond — keeping our member experience strong AF. As a global non-profit operating in 10 cities, this role requires a lot of collaboration as you partner closely with our city leadership teams to get the word out about local events, volunteer opportunities, scholarships, mentorship, and more.
This role at Out in Tech is a blend of strategy and creative. The successful candidate is excited to help develop a young brand, curious to analyze large amounts of information, and able to use these insights to drive the creative strategy around an event or program.
Responsibilities of the role include:
• Develop and execute a strategy to communicate the work we’re doing, the events we’re producing, and the difference we’re making to our stakeholders
• Design creative assets for web + social on our impact programs and local events
• Produce email marketing collateral that maintains our kickass open rates
• Drive communication with city leadership teams, partner organizations, and host venues to achieve a best-in-class experience for our members
• Oversee photography/video needs for events
• Create and evangelize our style guide
We’re looking for someone with:
• A passion for social media and email marketing, with good judgment about what gets people’s attention and convinces them to take action
• A design point of view. This is primarily a creative job. The associate works directly with volunteer leaders and staff, and is responsible for creative outputs
• Awesome project management skills. Don’t let the casual vibes fool you – we’re obsessed with our Trello cards, Airtable records, and calendar maintenance
• Strong copywriting skills. We love emoji, but there’s a chance to evolve our brand voice
• Confidence and wisdom. Exercises empathy and isn’t afraid to manage up
• Independence. You won’t have someone looking over your shoulder, all that matters is that you get s**t done
• Strong design skills. Adobe Creative Suite preferred. Video editing a bonus
• A minimum 2 years experience working in social media, email marketing, or related disciplines
Our culture attracts those with a passion for social justice and equity. You can bring your whole self to work (or not, when you’re taking advantage of our unlimited vacation policy and flexible work schedule). Salary is competitive. If this sounds like your next move, you may be employee number three!